CCI makes high quality professional knives that require quality care and cleaning. By providing your knives with proper care; your knives should last a life time and then some! Take a look below for some tips!
- Carefully wash knives, by hand, immediately after use.
- Wash with mild dishwashing detergent, warm water and a cloth.
- Rinse well with warm water and wipe dry immediately to prevent water spots from forming.
The importance of cleaning knives immediately after use:
- If food has the chance to harden on a blade, it becomes more difficult to remove. In turn the cleaning job becomes more likely to result in personal injury.
- Acidic foods and foods that contain chloride (salt) can result in pitting and/or tarnishing of a “high carbon” stainless steel blade if left on the blade.
Why Should A Knife Never Go In The Dishwasher?
- Personal injury or blade damage can result!
- The “High Carbon” stainless steel blade can be “pitted” from exposure to high dishwasher water temperatures and/ or chlorine, chlorides, hypochlorites and other chemicals used in detergents and cleaning products.
- Leaving knives in a dishwasher not completely dried (after the “rinse and hold” cycle for example), can result in pitting of professional quality high carbon stainless steel knife blades.
The biggest take away from this blog is always, always, always wash your knives by hand! Next week we’ll take a look at proper care of your carrying cases!